Thursday, February 5, 2009

Wii R Family


Well, it was bad enough that the cancer snagged me, then the infections, surgeries, radiation and chemo treatments….now my mother-in-law is buying and encouraging the use of products designed to shorten my life. She managed to find us a Wii Fit board and insists that it be part of my recovery. Anyway, if you don't know how these work you have to set up a little Wii person (a Mii) who works out for you and every Wii person gets rated by your abilities and the machine gives that Wii person an age. My Wii age was a stellar 43, Emma 11, Jessica (our most fit member) 25, Ethan 27, and bringing up the rear, Nicola with an astounding young 57! So it just goes to show you even with ¾ of a brain I've still got plenty of talents, I'm just not going to waste it folding clothes.


So, we are sitting up here again at MD Anderson waiting for another MRI. Hopefully we will get home before midnight this time as Jan is at the house with the kids. We are getting a little better at the scheduling stuff to give me more time during the day to keep up with sales calls and other work responsibilities. It's been tough being so distracted by battling this disease and I've really missed my customers and the feeling of being able to help others who are also battling for their lives. It's funny how much you appreciate what you had when it changes so quickly. I do not take anything for granted! And my new thought is to try and make at least one memory (that sticks) everyday. If I can teach one of the kids something new, or make someone laugh or smile…I consider it a successful day. Not trying to be corny here, but being nice is a whole lot more fun than being a grump (not that I ever was).


New milestone…Ethan is now officially a cub scout and a proud serving member of Troop 143. Evidently, I am too. But I am NOT wearing a uniform or sleeping in a tent for that matter (unless Nicola makes me and I'm sure she will). The troop seems well organized and I think Ethan is enjoying being around a bunch of boys and away from his sisters. He looks really cool in his uniform and I think he's going to be a great scout. He's already asking for a knife.



He looked way too cool not to share a picture! Evidently he's got brains like his dad as his head was too big for his cap, so we had to exchange it for a bigger one.


Another great feat that I have been particularly proud of was Jessica got her picture in the sports edition of the local newspaper swimming the 400 freestyle relay for Conroe High. It was Nicola's keen eye to detail that caught the picture and it is nice to have as a keepsake. She has had a good year swimming and maintaining perfect grades (completely impressed and proud of her). Obviously, she gets it from me.


Emma continues to be the chicken master around the house. These chickens follow her around like she is the mother hen. Although she won't admit it, I think she really loves the chickens and the fact that they love her more than anyone in the family. Our fridge is over flowing with farm fresh eggs. Ethan is afraid that we are going into the egg business which he isn't comfortable with after seeing the movie, Kit Kitteridge. I like the chickens too, and I still say it was one of the smartest Mother's day presents that I have ever bought.


So, as for me….after completing the first cycle of treatment, we have some updates. One thing that the first round has shown us is that we are going to have to change directions in our treatment. We are starting February with a new treatment plan involving several new agents designed to more strategically target the tumors we are dealing with. We have not seen the desired response from the other treatments and the new approach is going to be more aggressive. Comes with a little more risk and some side effects that will have to be managed, but it's not anything that we are unwilling to go through to beat this thing. We've come a long way and I'm still feeling strong and good. Even though I complain about the PT, I can already tell there is a difference in my muscle strength and tone and the stronger I can get, the better I can fight. I am always encouraged when I get to read your responses to this blog and faith and your prayers are lifting me up when I'm having bad days.


Something else that I was reminded of about cancer and statistics: cancer doesn't win 100% of the time. That leaves room to beat this thing.


Keep praying, have faith and we'll beat this thing together.


David


PS: If anyone is interested, I'm doing Relay for Life. It's a benefit for the American Cancer Society. Here is the link if you care to read about it.


http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09PL?px=4461505&pg=personal&fr_id=17584









5 comments:

  1. Weems! Nothing like being analyzed by the wii fit board to make you feel past your prime! I nearly threw my back out trying to dodge shoes kicked at my head- instead of soccer balls.

    It's great to hear the family is doing well. I'm grateful for the opportunity to meet your kids a few months ago. It's great to know the real characters from all the stories you have always shared about your family.

    Hang in there with the next rounds of treatment. I'm thinking of you and praying- as is my wife, she always let's me know when you have a new post.

    Love you man! Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dontcha love the WiFi at MDA? Makes my life so much easier - cause those new aircards? Shite.

    Wii Fit - I think it's about time the Coffmans got on board (pun intended). Where do you score one?

    Great Post - thinking about you!

    xo Bon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys,

    You do realize that those NC Fried Pies are going to throw a real wrench in your Wii Fit plan! We are searching high and low and I think our next try is gas stations!
    We can NOT wait to see you the 28th--though we are requesting that by then you will be sporting full scout master uniform --walk shorts and knee sock please! Pete said something about kicking your ass in golf but he had a few drinks in him by then. Anywho, we look forward to seeing you soon.

    Perrons

    ReplyDelete
  4. My very own mother, who's never ran a millisecond in her life, and she's 63, scored lower than me, her 35 yo daughter. That wii thing is a mess. Don't believe it. Not for a second.

    Good to hear your voices on your posts. Looking forward to going to the Rodeo with you all (whoever is up for it....I'm bringing my boots...and my Yeee Haw!). And get your "honey-do" list ready Nicola!!

    Hang in the ya'll. My heart and prayers are thinking of you every day. xooxxoxo
    kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have you on my mind often, and you are in our prayers. I am looking forward to hearing how the last round of treatments went and how you are feeling.

    Have the Wii fit - it said my Wii age was 50! Barry made me take it out of the garbage later that day!

    By the way can you send me some of that medication your using for fatigue? HA! anything that reduces fatigue should be sold over the counter, or even just put in the water.

    Things are crazy here, the housing market and the horrific economy has put us in a financial noose. Our bills are piling up, I can't imagine having medical bills on top of this dreaded economy. I am so sorry this nasty horrible disease is reaping havoc on you, your family and your bank account. If there is anyone I know, that can and will beat this, it's you. Your an amazing person, married to an amazing wife, with amazing children. It also sounds like your families and neighbors are amazing as well, and that they are surrounding your family with loving help. Awesome.

    God is good, he promises us he will take care of us today. I've always loved the saying "because yesterday was the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a present."

    Hoping to get to Houston, next month some time, for a trunk show, may come during the kids Spring Break (week of the 22) will look forward to seeing you all then.

    We love you Dave.

    Hang in there friend - wish we lived near by to provide a helping hand.

    ReplyDelete